Monday, October 26, 2009
I've got my hands full....
Yes, I have three kids. That's three kids people, not thirty! For some reason, it drives me insane when I go out with my kids, and random people look at me with wide eyes and say "Wow, you've got your hands full!" Um, thanks for noticing. And let me clarify, it's never "wow, you've got your hands full, let me help you!" It's usually just a statement, as if they're making a great observation that I was not aware of. If it was the first statement, I don't think that would annoy me. I usually just kind of smile, and say "yeah, I do!" Now, I know three kids is more than one, but seriously it's not as if I have an obscene amount of kids! In fact, I would say that a majority of my friends have 3 kids. I'm not going to pretend that my kids are perfect, or that I am supermom, because frankly we are all far from that. But generally my kids are pretty well behaved. They like going to the grocery store, and going out in general.(this is not to say that I reserve my errands for when I have all three!) I'm not sure what it is about three kids that pushes people over the edge. Maybe it's because I'm outnumbered, or because I look young. (What do you say when people tell you you look too young to have three kids? Because I've gotten that one too! Ummm...thanks?) Although it doesn't happen as often, my husband and I get it when we're together too. Maybe our kids really are wacko, and we don't notice it since we're used to the chaos. Who knows! Hopefully when I get older, I will remember how much that annoyed me and instead say, "You have some beautiful kids!"
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I once made a trip to the grocery store with all three boys. And it was one of *those* trips where I heard that "you've got your hands full" more than I needed or wanted to.
ReplyDeleteAs I was loading the kids into the car, buckling them into their carseats, an older lady approached me. "Three boys!"...(Here we go, I thought) But she went on to tell me how she had three boys and they were all close in age like mine were and just seeing me with mine reminded her of when she was younger. I could tell she was reminiscing, remembering her little boys.
It was sweet, and I loved it, and she never once said "You've got your hands full!" or anything of the sort. It was SO NICE to have an experience like that!
Hang in there, you know that those people are probably just admiring your/our courage and bravery for raising three (or more!) kiddos in this day in age! :)
I totally agree. If you're going to say it, at LEAST offer to help me with the door or something!
ReplyDelete