Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Big Man on Campus





So today was the first day of kindergarten...we all survived!




As long as I have been dreading this day, Will has been counting down. He has been so excited to go to kindergarten. He's been ready for a long time. I know that, I've known he was ready, but mommy not so much! He actually cheered yesterday when he asked me when the last day of summer was, and I answered today. So last night, he picked out his clothes, and we got his backpack ready!


It's funny because, he's actually going to be gone less than he was for preschool, but I have been emotional nonetheless. I think it's because I've past the point of no return. I can't pretend that he's a baby anymore. I mean it's KINDERGARTEN!! He is in elementary school, he carries a backpack and rides the bus! (Well, he rides the bus home, I still drop him off in the mornings...Mom was not quite ready to let go of all control!) I know he'll love it!



This morning about 5 minutes before it was time to get in the car, he told me he didn't feel good. I guess it was just nerves, which did not help my already frazzled state of mind! But we loaded up, and drove (the whole 5 minutes!) to his school. He was excited when we got there, and we all filed to his class. Once in there, he greeted his teacher (she's really nice!) and put his bag up, and started coloring. I took a couple of pictures, (just a couple, I didn't want to prolong anything!) and said goodbye. I was fine the whole time...then I walked out of the doors. I could feel my chest ache, and my eyes get full, and a huge knot well up in my throat. As the tears fell, I dropped on my sunglasses so Olivia wouldn't see me cry. I don't want her to think it's sad to go to school! (Her turn is coming soon!) Anyway, it was good that I had Olivia and Caroline to worry about, otherwise I'm sure I would've been a mess. By the time we got back to the car, I had composed myself. I took the girls to a fun princess party, so that was a good distraction!
Since I'm going to be taking Olivia three days a week, we made the deal that I will take him in the morning, and he can ride the bus home. For some reason this freaks me out! My husband (he used to teach elementary school, and he's the practical one anyway) thinks I'm nuts. But, I guess the right of a mom right? He only goes to school for half the day, so when he comes home, it's only kindergartners on the bus. They told me what time the bus will drop him off, so I made sure that I left the princess thing early enough to be here a good 10 minutes before his bus was supposed to be here. So, as I'm pulling up to my driveway, the bus (with my kid still on it!) is pulling away! I met the bus at it's next stop where the bus driver informed me that on Tuesdays & Thursdays, they will be a little early. Good to know...too bad they didn't tell me that yesterday!




Oh well, he was fine, and LOVED school! He had a great time, and is excited to go. I'm fine, but I'm glad it's over!





3 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you made it through the day! I can't imagine how I'm going to feel next year when Jackson starts all-day kindergarten! Agh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! It helps to have other kids, I was totally distracted. I can't imagine if he were an only child or my last one, I would've been a wreck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. He looked so cute and excited! Feels good to have that first day under your belt, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete