Tuesday, November 3, 2009
Revolving Door
I hate being sick, but I hate my kids being sick even more. This cold season has not been a good one. My kids are generally healthy, so I think it's catching us all off guard a little. They are good eaters, they love fruits and vegetables, and take vitamins. Fortunately I'm not one of those moms that has to hide the vegetables in their food in order for them to eat them. They don't drink soda, and we are big advocates of hand washing. (my hands are so dry right now from constant hand washing!) We try to teach them to cover their mouths when they cough or sneeze, and they go to bed early. I feel like lately my house has a revolving door...when one illness goes out, the next one is right behind it coming in. Fortunately they have been quick runs, and have been treated quickly. We try to protect our kids from being sick, but short of keeping them trapped inside the house (which let's face it, would not be good for anyone involved!) for the entire winter, I'm at a loss. As much as we try to teach our kids how not to get sick, how do you protect them from other kids? You know which ones. The kid that sneezes in their face, or the kid who's parent sent them to preschool with pink eye. (thank you very much to that parent by the way...Olivia & Will both got pink eye!) I'm sure that we've all been guilty of sending our kids to school with snotty noses or coughs, but really? Pink eye? I was actually the parent volunteer that day. I about croaked when I saw this little girl with dark pink eyes sitting (& coughing!) right next to my healthy, unsuspecting kid. Nice. So if you know of a way to keep my kiddos healthy, please share!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Oh, I feel your pain! And Luke adds seasonal allergies to the mix, so I'm never quite sure (unless his eyes get bad) if it's allergies or a cold!
ReplyDeleteI feel like we need a protective bubble.
Sadly, a lot of parents use school as daycare. My mom was a volunteer school nurse for a little while when we were in elementary school, and she talks about how there were SO many parents, when called to come get their sick kid, made comments about how unnecessary it was, or how the kid wasn't "really" sick. It's pathetic.
ReplyDeleteI have taught Carson to sneeze into her sleeve instead of her hands. I heard that from one of my friends who is a nurse. Supposedly its more sanitizing. I started to do it as well. Don't know if it will help...but it is something..http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/features/prevent-flu-cover-up-when-you-say-achoo
ReplyDeleteIt is hard, for sure. I don't think there's any escaping it at this age. Actually, so far (it's only November) this has been OUR healthiest fall to date. We're usually one sinus infection and two ear infections in by this point. I'm hoping that we paid our dues by being sick almost constantly last year. We'll see though. Our sick season usually starts in January and ends in April. Ugh...
ReplyDeleteOh Erika! We have been sick since October 16. I can't tell if it is the same sickness or a new one because it's all running together. And I have been sick too! UGH! It's not fun and I've tried lots of things. But like you said, short of keeping them in a bubble, what can you do?
ReplyDelete